Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Nourishment

One of the simplest ways I have found to be a better me, is to make sure that I am nourishing myself. Not just feeding myself (junk food, junk media, etc) but really and truly nourishing myself. Although food is one way that I nourish myself, there are so many other facets to nourishment. I have found that when I am feeling anxious, depressed, unmotivated or fatigued, I usually need some kind of nourishment like...

Sleep - It is so simple, but so hard, especially as a mom with a baby, but I have to choose sleep. Even if that means letting the laundry wrinkle in the dryer overnight, or more often, closing my computer!

Fresh Air - Sometimes a whole day can go by and the most fresh air I get is the air standing between my front door and my car. Even if all I can do is walk around the block, I am a much happier person if I have some fresh air every day.

Beauty - I need beauty in my life! Whether it's an especially well-written book, nail polish in a color I love or something that I craft, I need to create and enjoy beauty.

Silence & Space - Often when I am starting to feel overwrought, it is a case of too much input -- too much music, too much news, too much Internet, even too much communication with other people. Sometimes I need to turn it all off and sit alone for a bit. Take a walk. Take a bath. Close my bedroom door.

There are so many other ways I find nourishment: time with friends, special meals, dates with my husband, prayer and meditating on Scripture, laughter, the list goes on! The important thing is to seek out nourishment in any form and enjoy it and share it.

This week I am nourishing myself by knitting this fun washcloth , reading a beautiful book called Mitten Strings for God, and driving with the radio off. What nourishes you?



I haven't finished Mitten Strings yet, but so far I love it! It's meant for moms, but Kenison's observations can apply to everyone.


1 comment:

  1. One of my biggest struggles during the boy's first year was going to bed at a decent time...it was so hard to end the precious "me" time and get some sleep. You are totally right...we need both kinds of nourishment, and sometimes I just need to close the computer and go to bed at night.

    ReplyDelete