Monday, July 8, 2013

Start Where You Are


Start where you are.
Use what you have.
Do what you can.

This little piece of wisdom came to me through Pinterest, courtesy of my sister-in-law. It seems so simple, but it has completely revolutionized my happiness. I have always struggled with perfectionism and idealism. I am easily overwhelmed by the big picture. But with this little nugget in my pocket, I can usually calm myself down and take one confident, happy step.

For example, I may not be The Pioneer Woman, but if I think she hung the moon (I think she might have... I should check into that) and if I want my life to feel a little bit more like hers looks -- namely, delicious -- then instead of gawking at her blog while my heart sinks into my boots, I can do something!  I can start where I am (my mother-in-law's house), use what I have (a butt-load of coffee from Costco and a can of sweetened condensed milk) and do what I can -- make Ree Drummond's fantastic Perfect Iced Coffee. So I did. And I'm happy. And caffeinated.

That may seem like a silly little example, and it is, but if I take this little piece of common sense and apply it to my bigger problems, it transforms the way I handle life. Brian and I have the cutest little fixer-upper from heaven hell purgatory you have ever seen. There is nothing on God's green earth I can do to make this project go faster. We are at the mercy of a shoe-string budget and favors from busy friends. There is nothing I can do to make it "perfect" (luckily I don't want it perfect anyway!). But I CAN paint everything that's standing still so at least it looks clean. And I CAN use my words to bless my house and thank God every day for giving us a house to live in someday. And I CAN savor this season of living with "Gramma" -- free babysitting, anyone?

The secret to this little morsel of wisdom is that it changes my focus from what I don't have and can't control to what I do have and can control. It allows me to be thankful. It empowers me.

So, here you go! Enjoy -- Start where you are; use what you have; do what you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment